Volunteering at TISC
TISC would not be possible without the many volunteers who put their time and energy into making our facility and programs accessible for everyone in the San Francisco Bay. We provide opportunities for adults to contribute to TISC’s mission and the community through volunteerism. TISC utilizes volunteers in a variety of ways from helping with community or fundraising events and maintaining its fleet to office work and program instruction.
Volunteer Rewards Program
We acknowledge the importance of giving back to our communities. Some of us get involved with TISC to meet new people and others to sharpen their skills. Some people are passionate for the cause, while others may volunteer to learn how to sail. For the later, we have created a Volunteer Rewards Program. Whatever the motivation, all are welcome!
TISC Volunteers with a minimum of 16 hours of service:
- Can utilize TISC’s programs and fleet
- Can trade their hours equal to hours of instruction for any of TISC’s courses or rentals
- Must adhere to TISC’s progression of courses and boat usage policies
- Must complete volunteer hours equal to any course or rental prior to any reservation
TISC will reserve 25% of its courses for volunteers per availability. Volunteer hours are non-transferable unless in the case of a minor to whom the volunteer is a legal guardian
- There are two ways to log your volunteer hours. The preferred way is through online volunteer sign up which automatically track hours for shift. If you volunteer without signing up online, you can still track your hours in the Volunteer Log Book in the office.
Sign Up To Volunteer – It’s Easy!
- Complete the Volunteer Information Form
- We will add you to our email list and let you know when volunteer opportunities arise.
Group Sail: J24 Skipper
- Come sail a J24 around Clipper Cove for a couple of hours! Volunteers take a small group of people sailing around the cove and teach them to the basics of sailing. Volunteers need to pass TISC’s J24 checkout and are required to do a background check if they are going to be working with youths.
This is a one-Saturday or Sunday-a-month event hosted at Treasure Island Sailing Center (TISC) in partnership with the Lighthouse Sailing School program For The Blind and Visually Impaired. TISC is seeking experienced sailors to participate in these events either as instructors or as crew members on a J24. Some training will be required, and will be provided by instructors experience in teaching blind and vision-impaired sailors.
Marketing and Publications
We send upcoming news through constant contact and use Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to let people know what is happening at TISC. Do you have skills that would help in this effort? This is a great opportunity to help us from the convenience of your home or office!
Volunteer for a day or more to help improve the grounds of TISC or paint or repair.
General Boat Maintenance
Did you know that TISC has over 100 boats? All of these get serious use (and a bit of abuse). We can always use help with sanding, oiling, painting and cleaning the vessels.
Involvement can range from membership growth, to event planning, to presenting to parties interested in the growth and development of the Treasure Island Sailing Center. We always need people to help create these events to support our programs.
No sailing program is complete without the racing aspect. TISC hosts several regatta’s during the year and each of these regattas could use support on land and on the waters. This is a fun way to watch the competition and help the young people enjoy our sport!
The administrative support volunteer will assist the team by providing clerical support in our office. This can include data entry, maintaining filling system, answering and directing phone calls
If you have any questions about volunteer opportunities or have a skill or a desire to do something that does not fit into any of the general categories above, please email email@example.com or call us at 415 421-2225